Contact us

Drop us a line using the form below and we will come back to you.


Hide panel >

What needs to be registered and when by?

All sewage treatment plants that discharge to the surface, whether that’s to a ditch, stream or river need to be registered immediately. Septic tanks have to discharge to the ground, so if yours discharges to the surface, this will need to be replaced or upgraded in order to comply.

If your domestic sewer discharges into the ground, whether through a drainage field or soakaway, then it needs to be registered by 1st January 2012.

What are the types of registration?

There are two different types of registration. Whilst most properties using domestic sewage discharge will need to register for exemption, others will need to register for a permit. Registering for exemption can be carried out online free of charge on the Environment Agency website. Registering for a permit is necessary if your discharge doesn’t meet the exemption criteria or it’s too close to a protected site and this carries a one off fee (£125 in 2010).

Also, if you register your domestic sewage discharge after the end of 2011, you will need to apply for a permit, ultimately costing you more in the long run. Make sure you’re compliant and register for exemption in plenty of time; speak to Independent Drainage for professional and experienced advice.

You won’t need to register if you’ve already been issued with a Consent to Discharge or Environment Permit for the effluent. For more information, a full summary of conditions can be found on the Environment Agency website.

What shall I do if my domestic sewage discharge doesn’t comply with standards?  

If you believe your current sewage system does not meet the required standards or is polluting the environment it’s essential you check before you register. We offer a range of installation, maintenance and repair services to help bring your drainage up to code and ensure ongoing compliance.

For advice on compliance, look no further than the experts here at Independent Drainage. We want to give you the peace of mind with your domestic sewage, so if you have any queries regarding registering please call us on freephone 0800 0131301 for professional and experienced advice.